About Your Rates

Your rates contribute to the delivery of more than 200 products and community services to our diverse and ever changing community.

Find out more in the A-Z of City of Melville Services - a guide to the annual budget and a comprehensive breakdown of how your rates are used to deliver those products and services each year.

How to Read Your Rates Notice

1. Early Payment Due Date

Full payment needs to be received at the City of Melville by this date to be eligible for the Early Payment Prize Draw

2. Gross Rental Value (GRV)

Set by the Valuer Generals Office, this is a conservative estimate of the amount the property could be rented for in one year (if rented).

To dispute this value visit Rates Appeals or Disputes.

3. Rate in the Dollar

Set by the City of Melville, this is the 'Cents per dollar' of GRV that the City charges in rates (more details below).

4. Charges on Your Rates Notice

All relevant charges will be listed in the middle section of your rate notice.

5. Amount Due

Total amount due by the due date with varying payment options.

6. Pay Your Rates Early competition 

Details on how to enter the prize draw for rates paid before the early payment due date.

Find out more about the Rates Prize Draw.

7. Payment Methods 

How to pay your rates and relevant information for each method.

Paperless Rates

Ratepayers can sign-up to receive rate notices and installment reminders by email via eNotices or online via BPay View.


Rates notices and installment reminders can be delivered direct to your inbox.

To sign up visit our eNotices page and select the 'sign up' tab. You will need your eNotices Reference Number found on your last rate notice to sign up.

BPay View

Notices and reminders sent via your online bank account. Go to your online bank account and select BPay View in your settings.

Register using the assessment number, biller code and reference number shown on your last rates notice.

How Are My Rates Calculated?

Each Property is individually assessed by the Valuer Generals Office once every three years, to determine its Gross Rental Value (GRV) - yearly rent the property would be expected to receive. Where a property is vacant, the GRV is calculated as 3% of the market value of the land.

The City of Melville then sets the the Rate in the Dollar, a charge to maintain the City's services set as part of the yearly budget process and applied uniformly to all households.

A combination of the two will result in your rates charges:

Your rates = GRV x Rate in Dollar

Pensioners and seniors are eligible for rebates.

Additional Service Charges

Your total rates amount will also include flat rate fees that are not affected by your Gross Rental Value.

For more information, click on the tabs below.

Security and Surveillance Fee

All properties are charged the property surveillance and security charge, which covers a range of programs and services to improve neighbourhood amenity.

What does the property surveillance and security levy cover?

The levy finances the Community Safety Service (CSS) - a 24 hours, 7 day a week mobile patrol service.

The CSS aims to create a safer, more secure community through a mobile surveillance and liaison service, and is an important part of achieving the City's shared vision of a Safer Melville. It exists to support our Police and not to replace them.

The CSS comprises a number of clearly marked vehicles operating throughout the City of Melville at all times. The CSS deals with a wide range of issues from observing, monitoring and reporting suspicious behaviour to Police, conducting holiday watch patrols for residents at no additional costs as well as assisting during storms, natural disasters or other community safety issues.

Why do I pay for it when I only own vacant land?

The property surveillance and security charge covers a range of programs and services to improve neighbourhood amenity. These include the reporting of graffiti and community development programs for groups such as at-risk youth and the elderly. The aim is to improve overall safety and security, and make Melville a great place. This helps to maintain property values for owners.

Vacant land can be damaged (e.g. fences), have material dumped without authorisation, or people may congregate and cause a nuisance (e.g. drug use and discard used needles).

In addition, some vacant land is improved during the year with new building construction. The CSS can observe and report on any problems during this important phase when the building is mostly not occupied.

Pool Levy and Inspection Fees

Houses with pools and spas are charged inspection fees. Houses with decommissioned pools or spas are not charged.

Why am I billed for owning a pool?

The City of Melville is committed to assisting pool owners to keep their pool safe by providing a service that includes inspection and advice on pool safety and the legislative obligations.

If you receive a charge for a pool levy and you dont have a pool (sometimes a pool has been removed), please contact our pools officer.

Will my pool be inspected each year?

The legislative requirement is that each pool is inspected every four years and brought into compliance. The City of Melville strategy is to complete inspections on 25 percent of all pools within the City wach year. The annual pool levy charge is equal to one quarter of the cost of providing this service for each home.

Additional inspections, such as when purchasing a property, are available upon request on a fee for service basis.

State Government Charges - Emergency Services Levy (ESL)

The ESL funds WA's fire and emergency services, including career fire stations, volunteer fire brigades, State Emergency Service (SES) units, the Volunteer Marine Rescue Service and the multi-purpose Volunteer Emergency Service Units.

This is a levy collected by the City on behalf of Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES).

Social Media Share this pageLinks below open in a new window

Was this page helpful?
Page Helpful