Online Payments Unavailable Online payments are currently unavailable due to the end of year financial process. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Close alert

This page provides information on the rules and regulations surrounding noise pollution and who you can approach if you have a noise complaint.

Dealing with Noise Complaints

People and businesses causing noise are often unaware of its effect on their neighbours.

If you are being affected by noise pollution, we recommend you approach the person or business causing the problem first to talk about your concerns, as this often resolves the issue and helps you maintain a good relationship with your neighbour. We have a Dear Neighbours Card you can use to bring your concerns to the attention of your neighbour.

If you find they are unapproachable or deny a problem exists, you should then contact the Citizens Advice Bureau to organise mediation. Mediators help guide a discussion towards finding an agreeable solution between both parties.

Depending on the type of noise complaint you have, our environmental health team may be able to assist. Read and Noise Information Sheet for the types of noise complaints our environmental health team can assist with.

Types of Noise Complaints and Remedies Available

Construction Noise

Construction noise is allowed from 7.00am to 7.00pm, Monday to Saturday. Noise from construction sites should not be audible outside these time or on Public holidays.

In some cases, construction work may be permitted outside of these hours if a builder or resident can prove it is reasonably necessary, and a noise management plan has been submitted and approved by our environmental health team.

Report Construction Noise

Barking Dogs

If you have a problem with noise from a barking dog, you should first try politely speaking to the dog owner and letting them know about your concerns. If you are not comfortable speaking directly with your neighbour, you can drop an anonymous Bark Card in their mailbox.

If you have contacted the dog owner and are getting no results, submit an online barking dog report and our rangers will be able to assist.

You may be asked to provide evidence in the form of a 'Barking Diary'. These diaries need to be as accurate as possible and cover a period of 14 days.

 Report Barking Dog

Parties and Gathering Noise

Music noise emitted from a party will generally exceed the prescribed noise level. Neighbours will in most cases tolerate 'one off parties' if they are notified before the party starts.

If you would like to make a complaint about party or gathering noise, contact the police or call our Community Safety Service (CSS).

The CSS will attend to witness and report on the noise only and pass on the details to our environmental health team the following working day. They do not intervene or approach the noise maker. For after business hours, the police have the powers to turn music off, infringe and/or confiscate equipment.

If you are planning on having a party, we encourage you to speak to your neighbours as it can reduce the potential of any complaints. We suggest you tell them the following:

  • The date of the party,
  • A phone number to ring if the music gets too loud.
  • Reassurance that the music will be switched off or turned down to a level that can’t be heard after 10.00pm.

Stereo Noise

Stereo noise is allowed between the hours of 7.00am and 7.00pm, Monday to Saturday, and 9.00am and 7.00pm Sundays and public holidays as long as it is at a reasonable level and not excessive.

If you plan on playing loud music on your stereo, we encourage you to:

  • Close any doors and windows
  • Turn down the volume at 7.00pm
  • Turn off the stereo at 10.00pm or turn the volume down to a point it cannot be heard outside your property boundary
  • Reduce the bass component of your stereo
  • Avoid locating speakers in alfresco or outside areas

Report Stereo Noise

Musical Instrument Noise

Musical instruments can be played between the hours of 7.00am and 7.00pm, Monday to Saturday, and 9.00am and 7.00pm Sundays and public holidays, for a maximum of one hour.

If you plan on playing musical instrument, we encourage you to play inside with all the windows and doors closed. This will help reduce any impact on your neighbour.

 Report Musical Instrument Noise

Noise from Gardening and Power Tools

Power tools and gardening equipment that makes excessive noise, such as lawn mowers, whipper snipper, strimmers, blower vacuums, chainsaws and hammers, can be used for a maximum of two hours a day between 7.00am to 7.00pm Monday to Saturday, and 9.00am to 7.00pm Sundays and Public Holidays.

Report Gardening and Power Tool Noise

Air Conditioners, Pool Pumps and Other Machinery Noise

Noise from air-conditioners must comply with the assigned levels in Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 at all times, otherwise legal action can be taken against both the owner and installer of the noisy air conditioner.

Additionally, any other machinery noise, including pool pumps, that can be heard inside a neighbouring house after 10pm will be considered unreasonable and will not comply with the signed noise levels.

Report Air-Conditioner, Pool Pump or Other Machinery Noise

With the reduction in size of the average block and the consequent proximity of houses to each other, it is imperative that property owners and installers place air conditioners, pool pumps and other noisy machinery in the most suitable location.

The Installers Guide to Air Conditioner Noise provides information to installers and residents regarding various factors that influence noise received by a neighbour. We strongly recommended you consider this before installing an air conditioner, pool pump or other noisy equipment. Alternatively, visit the Fairair website to assist with your noise calculations.

Security or Car Alarm Noise

The police have the power to silence security and car alarms if the alarm is causing unreasonable noise and has been persisting for at least 30 minutes.

If you have or are installing a security or car alarm, we encourage you to ensure:

  • You can operate your alarm system correctly
  • The alarm has been installed by a licensed security agent
  • The alarm has auxiliary power backup
  • The alarm is in a location that minimises the possibility of damage or interference
  • The length of the siren is limited to a maximum of 10 minutes
  • Windows/doors are properly closed and pets are outside before activating the alarm 
  • Trees, shrubs and branches are well away from windows/doors.

Industrial and Commercial Noise

If you have a complaint about noise from commercial and industrial sites, contact our environmental health team unless the noise is coming from a premise that is licensed or registered by the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation (DWER).

To check if a premise is licensed by the DWER, use their search tool.

Noise from Pubs, Clubs and Licensed Premises

Complaints about noise coming from pubs, clubs and licensed premises should be made to the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor.

Activities Exempt from Noise Complaints

  • The following activities are considered exempt from noise complaints and we, as well as the police, will not intervene:
  • Children playing in the street or back gardens
  • Loud voices which are not related to a party or gathering
  • Yelling or screaming
  • Vehicles on the road
  • Wild animals
  • Spectators at an organised sporting activity
  • Participants and spectators at a meeting or procession which has been authorised under the Public Meetings and Processions Act 1984 (WA)
  • Church services, where the worship takes place on land which is exempt from rates because of its religious use.
  • Recreational or educational premises under control of the principal (the activity may use musical instruments but not mechanical equipment)
  • Agricultural shows, fairs, fetes, exhibitions and similar events

Report a Noise Problem

You can report a noise problem online by clicking on one of the below links:

Alternatively, complete our Nuisance Complaint and Log Sheet and submit it to our Civic Centre. To speak to a member of our environmental team or our Community Safety Service (CSS), contact us.

Laws to Manage Noise Pollution

The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 regulates noise emissions from the majority of noise sources within the community. It is an offence to create excessive noise emissions that cause a nuisance. Noise nuisance is generally based on the frequency, time of day and duration of noise that unreasonably affects the health and amenity of surrounding residents.

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1986 (WA), enforcement action such as fines, notices and seizures of equipment may be undertaken. WA Police and our environmental health team have the power to issue fines, notices or seize property in response to noise complaints under these laws.

Forms and Documents

Social Media Share this pageLinks below open in a new window

Was this page helpful?
Page Helpful