Dog Registration

Registering Your Dog

All dogs three months of age or older must be registered and microchipped as stated in the Dog Act 1976. The penalty for not registering your dog is a $200 fine.

Find out how to register your dog below.

Dog Registration and Renewals

You can register your dog online using our online services.

Yearly renewals cannot be done online. Download and complete the Application to Register a Dog Form (PDF) and submit it with payment to the City of Melville:

  • In person at: City of Melville Civic Centre, 10 Almondbury Road, Booragoon, from 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday
  • By mail to: City of Melville, Locked Bag 1, Booragoon WA 6954

Dog registrations expire 31 October 2018 every year. View the current fees and charges and read the additional terms and conditions below.

Registration Options and Fees

Sterilised Dogs

Registration OptionRegular CostConcession Cost
1 Year$20.00$10.00
3 Year$42.50$21.25

Unsterilised Dogs

Registration OptionRegular and Concession Cost
1 Year$50.00
3 Year$120.00

Terms and Conditions

  • Registration forms need to be accompanied with your dog's sterilisation certificate and their microchip certificate
  • All dogs must be microchipped, to microchip your dog, please contact your vet
  • Please notify the City of Melville when any change in details occur (change of ownership, address or the death of a dog)
  • Concession rates apply for sterilised dogs, dogs owned by pensioners and there is no fee for guide dogs
  • Dog registrations expire on the 31st October each year
  • If you first register your dog after the 1st of June, half the normal fee is applicable for one year registration.

Dog Ownership Rules and Regulations

Dogs are welcome in the City of Melville, however there are some rules and regulations that dog owners need to abide by within the City of Melville. Visit our Dog Ownership Rules and Management page for more information.

Useful Links

Please note that the City of Melville provides these links and information as a community service and does not necessarily endorse these organisations.

Shenton Park Dog Rescue

For more information visit Shenton Park Dog Rescue or email or call 9381 8166.

Pound Watch

Non-profit organisation which uses volunteers and works closely with vets. All dogs that are rehoused through them are sterilised and vaccinated and this is included in the cost for each animal.

Contact Sue Downs on 9397 1177, email or visit Pound Watch.

National Protection Society of WA Inc

Non-profit organisation which uses volunteers and works closely with vets. All dogs that are rehoused through them are sterilised and vaccinated and this is the total cost for each animal.

Contact Kerry White on 9398 6616 or visit the National Protection Society of WA Inc.

National Desexing Network

The National Desexing Network (NDN) is based in Queensland but they have a list of vets in WA on their books. The NDN can help residents finding it difficult to pay for the cost of desexing.

For more information visit the National Desexing Network

Native Arc

Native Arc provides treatment and rehabilitation of native animals.

For more information visit Native Arc or call 9417 7105 (After hours number 0487 922 484).

WA Rangers Assocation

For more information visit WA Rangers Assocation or call 9448 7565.


The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Western Australia Inc.

For more information visit the RSPCA or call 9209 9300.

Social Media Share this pageLinks below open in a new window

Was this page helpful?
Page Helpful