Online Payments Unavailable Online payments are currently unavailable due to the end of year financial process. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
City of Melville LeisureFit payments are still available. 
Close alert

Cat Registration

Cat Registration

There is State Government legislation in place to ensure control and registration of dogs and cats in our community. The State Government also sets all of the fees associated with the control and registration of dogs and cats. The City of Melville is responsible for enforcing and administering this legislation in our community.  Registering and microchipping your cat makes it easier for our Rangers to help return your pet to you if they become lost.

Important Information You Need to Know

  • You can register your cat for the first time all year round.
  • Your cat must be registered, sterilised and microchipped from 6 months of age and older.
  • Your cat’s registration expires on 31 October in the year it is due, unless you register your pet for life.
  • You can register your cat for the duration of its life.  You can also transfer this lifetime registration between local governments. 
  • If you register your cat after 1 June in any given year, and choose to register for one year only, half the normal fee is applicable.  Please note if you choose to do this the registration will expire on the 31 October of that year and you will be issued a renewal notice.
  • Concession rates apply for cats owned by pensioners.  You must produce a copy of your Pension Concession Card or both Commonwealth and State Seniors Cards to qualify. 
  • You must notify the City of any change in your details e.g. change of ownership, address or death of your cat.  You can notify us via our animal maintenance form. 

See our FAQ's below to find out more.

Registration Options and Fees

Swipe to see more

Swipe to see more
Length of RegistrationCostPensioner Concession Cost
3 Years$42.50$21.25
1 Year$20.00$10.00


Registering Your Cat for the First Time

You can register your cat for the first time all year round.  Before you register, make sure you have:

  • Your cat's 15 digit microchip number, and/or microchip certificate.
  • Your cat's sterilisation certificate.
  • Your Pension/Seniors Cards (if applicable).

Register your cat online or submit a completed Application Form using one of the following methods.  Please ensure you provide all the correct information and supporting documentation so we can process your cat’s registration as quickly as possible.

  • By email to
  • By post: City of Melville, Locked Bag 1, Booragoon WA 6954
  • In person: City of Melville Civic Centre, 10 Almondbury Road, Booragoon between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Register Your Cat Online

Renewing Your Cat's Registration

Your cat’s registration expires on 31 October, unless you renew your pet for life.  You will receive a renewal notice from us in September if your cat’s registration is due for renewal.  Renewals are due by 31 October and failure to renew the registration may result in an infringement being issued.   

Once you have received your renewal notice from us you can pay your cat's registration renewal online , via BPAY (refer to your renewal notice) or return the completed renewal notice to us using one of the following methods.

  • By email to
  • By post: City of Melville, Locked Bag 1, Booragoon WA 6954
  • In person: City of Melville Civic Centre, 10 Almondbury Road, Booragoon between 8.30am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.

 Pay Your Cat's Registration Renewal Online

Commonly Asked Questions

Why should I register my cat?

All cats in Western Australia must be microchipped, sterilised and registered from six months of age and older.  This is a Western Australian Government requirement.  The main reason for registering your cat though is so our Rangers have your details and can return your pet if they become lost.  Owners who don't register their pets can be fined $200.

My cat is microchipped – does that mean it is also registered?

No. Microchipping your cat does not automatically mean your cat has been registered. Contact our Customer Relations Team if you are unsure if your cat is registered with us. 

What does my cat’s registration pay for?

Cat registration fees contribute to handling of animal-related requests, including returning lost pets and animal related investigations. 

When do I have to renew my cat’s registration?

Your cat’s registration expires on 31 October, unless you renew your pet for life. You will receive a renewal notice from us in September if your cat’s registration is due for renewal. 

What confirmation will I get that my registration/renewal has been processed?

You will receive a registration certificate and tag by post to confirm your cat’s registration/renewal has been processed.

How can I find my cat’s microchip number?

You can find your cat’s microchip number from vet records you already have, by contacting your vet, or visiting a local vet. 

I have just moved to the City of Melville, do I need to register my cat?

Cats need to be registered to the address they are ordinarily kept at. If your cat is currently registered with another council in WA then you can transfer this registration free of charge. To do this complete a new registration (as if you are registering your cat with us for the first time) and make sure you include details of your current registration. 

What should I do if I move to a new address within the City of Melville?

You must notify us of your new address. You can do this verbally over the phone and in person, or in writing by email or via our General Animal Maintenance Form.

How do I notify you if I have sold my cat, or given them to a new owner?

Please contact our Customer Relations Team or use our General Animal Maintenance Form to request a copy of our Transfer of Cat Ownership Form. You must complete this form and return it to us by email so that the pets records can be updated.

What do I need to do if my cat has died or left the City of Melville area?

You must notify us in writing if your cat is deceased or you have moved out of the City of Melville area. This can be via email or our General Animal Maintenance Form. If you do not have online access you can attend our Civic Centre in person and our Customer Relations staff will assist you to complete the General Animal Maintenance Form

What if my cat’s tag is lost or damaged?

You can notify us verbally over the phone and in person, or in writing by email, or using our Animal Maintenance Form . We will send you a replacement tag by post.

What is the difference between sterilisation and vaccination?

Sterilisation is surgical desexing that involves removing part of the reproductive system of an animal whilst under a general anaesthetic. Animal vaccination is the immunisation of an animal against harmful diseases. 

What concessions are available for seniors?

Pensioners only need to pay half the prescribed registration fee if they have a Pension Concession Card or both a Commonwealth Seniors Card and a State Seniors Card.

What do I need to know if I am selling my cat

When a cat is sold or given away, the seller must ensure the cat is microchipped and sterilised prior to transfer. If the cat cannot be sterilised due to its health or age, the seller must issue a prepaid sterilisation voucher to the new owner.

My cat is very old - do I still need to have it sterilised?

Yes, the legislation applies to all cats of all ages. However, your vet can issue an exemption certificate if sterilising your cat is likely to have a negative impact on your cat’s health and welfare.

How does the Cat Act 2011 affect cat breeders?

The legislation requires that a person who chooses to breed cats must apply to their local government for a permit.

Download the Application Form to Apply for a Permit to breed cats. Once filled out mail, post or in deliver in person.

For more information view the Cat Breeder Fact Sheet.

What happens if I do not get my cat microchipped?

When you register your cat, you will be required to provide proof that the cat has been microchipped by providing the microchip number. A person who fails to ensure their cat is microchipped may be liable for a penalty.

How do I get my cat microchipped?

A vet, vet nurse or a person with the relevant qualifications from a registered training provider is able to implant a microchip in your cat. 

For more information on microchipping, contact your regular vet.

What are the benefits of microchipping?

Microchipping your cat make it easier for you to be reunited if they were to get lost. Any ranger or vet can scan the microchip to reveal your contact details. If your cat is impounded and they are not microchipped, you may be liable for a fine.

Cat Ownership Rules and Regulations

Cat Ownership Rules and Management provides information on cat microchipping, sterilising and breeding.

Useful Links

Please note that the City of Melville provides these links and information as a community service and does not necessarily endorse these organisations.

National Desexing Network

The National Desexing Network (NDN) is based in Queensland but they have a list of vets in WA on their books. The NDN can help residents finding it difficult to pay for the cost of desexing.

For more information visit the National Desexing Network

WA Rangers Assocation

For more information visit WA Rangers Assocation or call 9448 7565.

Cat Haven

For more information visit the Cat Haven or call 9442 3600.


The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Western Australia Inc.

For more information visit the RSPCA or call 9209 9300.

Social Media Share this pageLinks below open in a new window

Was this page helpful?
Page Helpful