Online Payments Unavailable Online payments are currently unavailable due to the end of year financial process. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Close alert

Home Occupation and Home Business

Home Business, Home Occupation or Home Office are a small scale business or activities operated within a residential property. Planning/development approval is not required for Home Offices or Home Occupations located on properties zoned ‘Residential, Centre, or Mixed Use’ under the provisions of City of Melville Local Planning Scheme No. 6 as long as they meet the relevant definitions. If you require written confirmation from the City that your ‘Home Office’ or ‘Home Occupation’ is exempt from Planning/Development Approval, please lodge a request for written planning advice along with a cover letter which clearly outlines how the proposed business will operate and the City will endeavour to provide a response within 14 days.

In response to the State of Emergency due to COVID-19, the State Government has issued a Notice of Exemption covering a range of temporary exemptions for certain approvals and requirements under Local Planning Scheme No. 6. Under this exemption, Home Businesses are temporarily exempt from the need for development approval, however you are required to notify the City in writing that you wish to take advantage of this exemption. For further information please refer to the Planning Exemptions page. If you wish to operate a Home Business on a permanant basis, Planning/Development approval is required.

Other approvals:

If your ‘Home Occupation’ or ‘Home Business’ incorporates food preparation, hair dressing or beauty therapy it is likely you will require approval from the City’s Environmental Health Services. For more information please refer to the Business Permits and Approval page.

If you are making structural modifications to your home you may require a building permit, for further information please refer to the Building or Renovating a House page.

Please refer to the Home Business, Home Occupation and Home Office Fact Sheet for information on:

  • Definitions
  • Information to be provided with your Development Application.

For advice on lodging a Planning/Development Application please refer to the Lodge and Track Building and Planning Application page.

Social Media Share this pageLinks below open in a new window

Was this page helpful?
Page Helpful