Commercial Recreation Permit

The City of Melville has many parks that Commercial Recreation Businesses may apply to use for their activities. Whether you are a personal trainer, wishing to run dog training closes or water sport activities, you will need to apply for a River and Parks Commercial Recreation Activities Permit to conduct any commercial activities on the City's public open spaces.

The permit system provides the opportunity for people to exercise, while also making sure that commercial activities do not prevent others from enjoying the City's parks and reserves.

If you would like to apply for River and Parks Commercial Recreation Activities Permit, you will need to complete an application form. Please refer to the Fees and Charges for the fees associated with the permit. To check on availability please contact a Customer Service Team Officer on 1300 635 845. Failure to obtain a permit may result in a fines.

Why do you need to apply for a permit?

The City’s reserves are utilised by the community for a large number of activities.

The permits are utilised for the following reasons:

  • To ensure that the activity complies with local laws.
  • To ensure there are adequate facilities at the reserve to accommodate the activity.
  • To ensure the reserve is not too crowded for casual users and other bookings.
  • To ensure work is not scheduled to take place on the reserve that may affect your training.
  • To ensure the reserve is suitable for the desired activities.
  • To ensure reticulation is not running during the training, or to inform you when reticulation will occur.
  • To ensure ground staff can tailor their maintenance schedule around your booking.
  • You are using a public open space that is maintained by residential rates to conduct a commercial activity for personal gain.
  • To produce financial assistance in maintaining the reserve.
  • To ensure that the appropriate Public Liability Insurance and other qualifications are in place for the booking.
Where can you conduct the activities with a permit?

The Commercial Recreation Activities Permits relate to any business that wishes to use the City’s Parks or Reserves for a sports based activity .  

Personal Training is not permitted at Point Walter Reserve, Heathcote Reserve, Bicton Quarantine, Piney Lakes Reserve and Kadidjiny Park.

Applications for other reserves will be considered. The use of the reserve is not permitted to commence until the permit has been issued. The permit will not be issued until full payment is received.

What does the permit allow?

The permit allows recreation/sports based commercial business to operate on Public open space. Applicants can have up to 10 sessions (2 hours for each session) a week. You may choose to use more than one reserve or request more than 10 sessions, however a separate permits may be required in these cases. The reserves are already at full capacity, with community sporting clubs and community use continuing to grow.  

What documents do I need to include with my application?

The required supporting documents, depends on the proposed Commercial Activity. In most cases and application would require the following documents:

  • Senior First Aid Certificate
  • Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency
  • Professional Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency
  • Current Business Certificate (Proof of ABN)
  • Evidence of Registration with a Peak Body
  • Working with Children Check
  • Other Governing Agency’s permits/approvals (Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions formally Swan River Trust for water sports)

Social Media Share this pageLinks below open in a new window

Was this page helpful?
Page Helpful