Effectiveness of CCTV

While there is little evidence that CCTV reduces the incidence of crime, it has been demonstrated to be effective in assisting police to solve crime by gathering evidence.  The Australian Institute of Criminology has numerous publications about the effectiveness of CCTV available online.

Visit the Australian Institute of Criminology and type "CCTV" into their search tool if you would like more information on the effectiveness of CCTV.

If you chose to purchase a CCTV system for your property, ensure you use a licensed CCTV installer.  Visit the Security Agents Institute of Western Australia's website for a consumer guide.

City of Melville CCTV Trailer

We have purchased a mobile CCTV Trailer which is deployed in areas of need to assist police by gathering evidence.  The community can inform us of any areas they would like to be considered in the deployment schedule for the trailer.  All of the locations are proposed to local police.  Police advise if the locations are hotspots and therefore if the trailer should be deployed at that location. 

Follow these simple steps if you would like a particular location to be considered for the CCTV Trailer:

  1. Report all incidents at that location to police on 131 444 – remember police help determine locations based on their data so if there is an issue in a particular location then police should know about it!
  2. Contact the CSS on 1300 653 643 or melinfo@melville.wa.gov.au and provide information on the issues occurring, and specific details of the location
  3. Check back on this page for information on where the trailer has been deployed.

The Safer Melville Advisory Committee will receive a report at their bi-monthly meetings on the:

  • exact locations the trailer has been deployed
  • locations it has not been deployed, and why,
  • success of each deployment.

A list of the suburbs the trailer has been deployed in and any successes of each deployment will be published on this page.  Find out where the trailer has been deployed between 27 March 2019 and 16 September 2020.


Social Media Share this pageLinks below open in a new window

Was this page helpful?
Page Helpful