The City of Melville believes that a community that recognises and promotes its diversity, and supports the participation and inclusion of all its members, makes for a richer community life and a positive contribution to social justice.
The City is committed to making a great place for all its residents. We support and promote:
- Individuals with disabilities and their families/carers enjoying living in an accessible-friendly City
- Local community groups and members developing and delivering facilities, information and programs that are inclusive of, or specific to, people with disabilities
- Awareness of issues for people with disabilities and their families/carers - raised through events and training
- People with disabilities to be involved in decision making about their community.
The City constantly works to improve access and inclusion for people with disabilities through implementing actions in its Disability Access and Inclusion Plan.
About the Plan
Disability access and inclusion plans provide a means of ensuring that people with disabilities have the same opportunities as other people to access services, community events, buildings and facilities, information, consultative and complaint resolution processes.
It is also a legislative requirement under the WA Disability Services Act (1993) that each Local Government has a Disability Access and Inclusion Plan (formerly known as a Disability Services Plan).
The City's Disability Access and Inclusion Plan (DAIP) was adopted in 2017 and builds upon the work already achieved in improving physical access, raising awareness through training and events, developing specific programs for people with disabilities, encouraging inclusive programs, and increased communications with people with disabilities within the City.
The plan includes a range of actions that will enhance the lives of people with different abilities and will assist in providing:
- Better access for people of all abilities to our services and events
- Better access to our buildings and facilities
- Access to information including providing a range of accessible formats for all
- Even better customer service and complaints and feedback mechanisms
- Community engagement that includes everyone
- Access to employment and traineeships including volunteering for people of all abilities and disabilities.
Contractors and Agents
The DAIP is to be implemented by the City of Melville and also by its agents and contractors who provide services to the public on the City's behalf.
Visit the Disability Services Commission's website to read more on the obligations of contractors and agents.
More Information and Contacts
For more information call our Customer Services Team on 1300 635 845 or email email@example.com.
Please let us know if you require any assistance or information in other formats.