The City conducted an investigation on how to best make use of an ageing sporting reserve in ways that recognises its value as a community asset and, at the same time, as a local centre for participation in sport. The investigations included engaging with local residents, people who use the reserve for casual recreation and with sporting clubs. Advice has also been sought from a number of sporting and recreational agencies who have provided specialist information. For additional background information on the project please visit Melville Talks.
The outcomes of the investigations have the following activities planned for the Shirley Strickland Reserve:
- Construction of additional on-street parking which was completed in 2017;
- Demolition of the existing community facility;
- Providing temporary accommodation, toilet and kitchen facilities for sporting groups and general park users to ensure continuity of amenity at Site during the construction of the Project;
- Construction of a two-storey sporting facility, which will include multiple change rooms, function space, leasable space, bar space and kitchen and outdoor viewing areas;
- Improvements to the active reserves, including new sports field lighting, reconfiguration of existing lighting, adjustments to layout of playing areas, new synthetic cricket wickets and redesign of the reticulation systems;
- A new nature play space, outdoor exercise equipment, improved path network and verge treatments and;
- Continued engagement with the community and the sporting clubs.
Community Consultation Open - Tell us how you use the Reserve!
|Appointment of Architect||Mid July 2018|
|Construction Commencement||Early 2019 - Mid 2019|
|Completion||Late 2019 - Mid 2020|
*Please note these dates may be subject to change
|Project Contact||Geoff Edwards 9364 0336|
Shirley Strickland Reserve
100 Coogee Road, Ardross 6153 Get Directions