Wireless Hill Museum
Wireless Hill has been a place of communication for thousands of years.
Previously used by the Noongar Beeliar Aboriginal people as a lookout and a place to send smoke signals, Wireless Hill became the site of Applecross Wireless Station in 1912.
The Wireless Station was one of Australia’s first links with radio technology and was used for telecommunications during World War One and World War Two. Using Morse Code, the Station communicated with ships off the Australian coast using a mast that was 112 metres tall. For a historical timeline of the Station, click here.
In 1968 the Station was vacated and it is now listed on the Western Australian Register of Heritage Places. Located within the old Engine Room of the Station, Wireless Hill Museum currently hosts regular exhibitions, educational talks, school holiday activities, and a Museum Learning Program.
What's On at Wireless Hill Museum
Current Museum Exhibition:
Machines & Makers
Current Local History Project:
Melville Milestones Callout - Share your Melville Memories!