Your Rates Calculations Explained
Information about how the figure on your rates notice is calculated.
How are my rates calculated?
Each Property is individually assessed by the Valuer Generals Office once every 3 years, to determine its Gross Rental Value (GRV). Where a property is vacant, the GRV is calculated as 3% of the market value of the land.
- Gross Rental Value = The yearly rent the property would be expected to receive if rented
The City of Melville then sets the the Rate in the Dollar that it will charge to maintain the City's services.
- Rate in the Dollar = The rates charged per dollar of Gross Rental Value. This is set by the City of Melville as part of the yearly budget process.
A combination of the two will result in your rates charges. The GRV x rate in $ = your rates.
Additional Service Charges
Security & Surveillance Fee and Pool/Spa Inspection Fee:
- These are flat rate fees and are not affected by your Gross Rental Value.
- Houses with pools are charged Pool/Spa inspection fees.
- Houses with decommissioned pools/spas are not charged an inspection fee.
- All properties are charged the property surveillance and security charge.
- Schedule of Fees & Charges.
State Government Charges
Emergency Services Levy (ESL):
The Emergency Services Levy (ESL) funds WA's fire and emergency services, including career fire stations, volunteer fire brigades, State Emergency Service (SES) units, the Volunteer Marine Rescue Service and the multi-purpose Volunteer Emergency Service Units.
This is a levy collected by the City on behalf of Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES).
Pensioners and Seniors:
Eligibility criteria - to be eligible for concessions under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992, an applicant must:
- be the owner and reside in the property on 1 July of the rating year;
- if a Pensioner, either:
- be in receipt of a pension and hold a Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card; or
- hold both a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interest and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card; or
- if a Senior holds a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests
Register with the Water Corporation or contact them on 1300 659 951 (concessions only apply once your application is received and registered).
Pensioners are eligile for a 50% rebate up to a maximum of $750.
Seniors are eliglble for a 25% rebate up to a maximum of $100.
A pro-rata rebate may be available from the date of registration to Pensioners and Seniors who become eligible after 1 July of the rating year.