Mayor’s Valued Citizens rack up over 300 years of service
The City’s annual Volunteer Recognition Function was held on Friday, 10 November, with 300 guests attending the prestigious award presentation at Wireless Hill Park in Booragoon.
The volunteering community were joined by special guests and City of Melville Mayor Aubrey to celebrate the outstanding contribution of volunteers, with 22 awarded the Mayor’s Valued Citizen Award and five awarded the Youth Citizenship Award.
Guests enjoyed long-table dining among the beautiful native surrounds of Wireless Hill Park, and were entertained throughout the evening by charismatic MC Verity James of ABC Broadcasting fame and acoustic guitarist David Patten.
Mayor Russell Aubrey said the City looked forward to the opportunity each year to thank its many volunteers by hosting this special event in their honour.
“Throughout this year and many prior, our volunteers have made a wonderful contribution to Melville, enriching the lives of others and helping to build a stronger, more connected community. Tonight we offer our thanks and officially recognise those nominated for their dedicated service,” said Mayor Aubrey.
“Not only is volunteering helping those who directly benefit, it creates a legacy of giving through those you help feel worthy and special, leading others towards the volunteering path.”
“Congratulations and thank you to all our recipients in 2017 – the selfless act of volunteering demonstrates an important value in life, one that enriches and connects our community.”
22 volunteers were presented with the Mayor’s Valued Citizen Award, recognising their service to the Melville community in an unpaid role for 10 years or more, and totaling over 300 years of volunteering service. Congratulations to:
Mayor’s Valued Citizen Award Winners
- Mrs Lyn Pellick, 12 years, ICCWA Walking Group
- Mr Bill Corry, 20 years, Neighbourhood Watch
- Mrs Muriel Corry, 20 years, Neighbourhood Watch
- Mrs Diana Collingridge, 10 years, Willagee Community Centre
- Mr Geoff Hurle, 10 years, Willagee Community Centre
- Mrs Gwen Stagg, 10 years, Melville Citizens’ Relief Fund
- Ms Pat Richards, 10 years, Willagee Community Centre
- Mr Allan Watson, 11 years, Capital Community Radio
- Mr David Sefton, 12 years, Capital Community Radio
- Mr Geoff Smith, 11 years, Capital Community Radio
- Mrs Margaret Halgren, 11 years, Capital Community Radio
- Mr Paul Redman, 11 years, Capital Community Radio
- Mr Ross Cussons, 11 years, Capital Community Radio
- Mrs Kirsten Tannenbaum, 31 years, Australian Breastfeeding Association
- Mrs Beryl De Petra, 16 years, St John of God Hospital Murdoch
- Mrs Catherine Nunes, 17 years, St John of God Hospital Murdoch
- Mr Dale Henshaw, 16.5 years, St John of God Hospital Murdoch
- Mrs Carole White, 17 years, St John of God Hospital Murdoch
- Ms Shirley Stubber, 12 years, St John of God Hospital Murdoch
- Mrs Gloria Oldenhof, 27 years, The Girls' Brigade
- Mr Simon Griffiths, 15 years, Scouts Australia
- Mr Paul Breuer, 12 years, Bull Creek Tennis Club
There were also five Mayor’s Youth Citizenship Awards presented to students who had been nominated for their significant contribution to their school or community. Congratulations to:
Youth Citizenship Award Winners
- Alicia Ross-Adams, Applecross Senior High
- Jack Warwick, Kennedy Baptist College
- Darcy Pickett, Santa Maria College
- Steven Thiele, All Saints College
- Michael Fallon, All Saints College
For more information about the Mayor’s Valued Citizen Awards visit www.melvillecity.com.au/nominate.
The Melville Volunteer Resource Centre (MVRC) is a City of Melville service that makes it easier for people to access information about volunteering, volunteer positions and community organisations.
The Centre also acts as a support resource for over 180 community organisations that are seeking volunteers and is gratefully supported through funding from the Department of Communities.
For more information about volunteering or to find a position that suits you, contact the MVRC today on 9364 0662 or visit www.melvillecity.com.au/volunteering.