Disposal of Other Items
This information will tell you what items do not go into your green and yellow top bins and your verge collections in the City of Melville.
- Disposal Sites
- Hazardous Waste
- Books, Clothing, Furniture, shoes, bric-a-brac
- Whole car bodies
- Automotive products
- Gas bottles
- Printer Cartridges
- Mobile phones
- Blankets, towels, general pet accessories such as leashes & collars
- Needles/ Medical Waste
- Old medicines
- Dry-cell batteries
- Compact Fluorescent Tube (CFL) and Other Light Globes
Please contact the disposal site for fees payable
City of Rockingham
Millar Road West
Ph: 08 9528 8550
City of Cockburn
Henderson Waste Recovery Park
920 Rockingham Road, Henderson
Ph: 08 9411 3444
Hazardous Household Waste (HHW)
Hazardous household waste can be disposed of free of charge through the WA Waste Authority Household Hazardous Waste Program, however, nly residential quantities of HHW will be accepted.
Find your nearest disposal site
Books, clothing, furniture, shoes, bric-a-brac
Please do not throw out household goods as there is the need for clean, undamaged, reusable furniture and visit:
- Good Sammy home collection for large, heavy and fragile items: 1300 855 130 or visit www.goodsamaritan.com.au/
- Salvation Army Home Collection Service: 13 72 58 or www.salvationarmy.org.au/WA (no wire-frame beds or whitegoods)
- St Vincent de Paul Society: 9444 5622 or visit http://www.vinnies.org.au/home-wa (no electrical goods)
Whole car bodies
For information about disposal of whole car bodies please contact:
- Simsmetal Management: 9434 2222 or
- OneSteel Recycling: 9352 1900
If you have any automotive products (auto batteries, motor oil or tyers), discuss the right way to dispose of these items with your mechanic or car service provider.
For LPG refills & cylinder re-testing:
- Call Kleenheat Gas on: 13 21 80 or visit http://www.kleenheat.com.au
For the disposal of small and household gas bottles, please refer to the Household Hazardous Waste Program.
Find your nearest disposal site
For recycling of all printer cartridges contact:
- Officeworks: 1300 OFFICE (1300 633 423)
- Cartridges 4 Planet Ark: 1800 242 473
In association with non-profit organisations, Optometry Aid Overseas, Laubman & Pank sends used spectacles to developing countries: Laubman & Pank: 9364 7144
The City of Melville holds E-waste collection days twice per year. The next E-Waste Collection will take place on Sunday 8 April, 2018 and Sunday 9 September, 2018 between 9.00am to 1.00pm at The City of Melville Operation Centre, 13 Bramanti Road, Murdoch.
Items collected include: computers, printers, TVs and mobile phones.
For recycling of old and outdated computer equipment including desktops, notebooks, servers monitors, printers and other items contact:
- Technology Assisting Disability WA Inc (free service and does not accept monitors): 9379 7400
- Henderson Waste Recovery Park: 9411 3444 (fees may apply)
Mobile Phone Industry Recycling Program: 1300 730 070 or visit http://www.mobilemuster.com.au
Blankets, towels, general pet accessories such as leashes & collars
- K9 Dog Rescue: 9581 9005 or http://www.k9dogrescue.com/
- Cat Haven: 9442 3600 or http://www.cathaven.com.au/
Needles/ Medical Waste
Place needles in a sealed sharps container and treat as Hazardous Household Waste (HHW).
If you have left over medicines in your home discuss the right way to get rid of them with your pharmacist.
For recycling locations please contact;
- SMRC: 9329 2700 or http://recycleright.wa.gov.au/
Compact Fluorescent Tube (CFL) and Other Light Globes
For CFL recycling information please contact:
- Henderson Waste Recovery Park (Domestic CFL only, fees may apply): 9411 3444
Incandescent Globes can be disposed of in your yellow topped bin for recycling.