Wireless Hill Museum

Following an extensive refurbishment that has been underway since 2014, Wireless Hill Museum celebrated its brand new museum space with an open day event on Sunday, 17 May 2015 with a poignant exhibition commemorating our ANZAC’s. 

For the past one hundred years Wireless Hill has played an important role in Western Australia’s history. From 1912 the station was used for telecommunications and was one of Australia’s first links with radio technology. It provided an important link for Perth, one of the most remote cities in the world.

Using Morse Code, the telecommunication station communicated with ships off the Australian coast using a mast 112 metres tall. The station also connected Perth with the eastern seaboard, London, Antarctic bases and the rest of the world. Applecross Wireless Station became a feeder station for international radiograms, weather reports, news bulletins and press reports.

In 1968 the station was vacated and the land was bought by the City of Melville and is now a public reserve and museum. The Wireless Hill Station is on the Western Australian Register of Heritage Places.

Vision 2020 and the Wireless Hill Interpretation Plan highlight the need to address the sustainability of the Museum and associated collection as well as the best use of this heritage site. The museum's refurbishment is now complete and open the the public.