Frequently Asked Questions

The City of Melville has a great choice of idyllic locations to make your wedding ceremony even more special. Choose from romantic lush gardens with canopies of majestic trees or on the shores of the pristine Swan River. Every location is surrounded by unique views.

Do I need to make a book for a ceremony?

It recommended that you make a booking. The City's reserves are very busy and used throughout the year for a number of events. A booking will help to assist with scheduling the events and any maintenance.

Bookings are essential at Heathcote Reserve, Point Walter Reserve, Piney Lakes Reserve and Bicton Quarantine Reserve.

Do I need to make a booking for Wedding photographs only?

At this stage, no bookings or fees are required. Other locations we suggest for wedding photos are:

  • Heathcote Precinct, Duncraig Road Applecross
  • Deep Water Point Reserve, The Esplanade Mt Pleasant
  • Wireless Hill, Almondbury Road Ardross
  • Piney Lakes Reserve, Murdoch Drive Winthrop

How far in advance of my wedding day do I need to book?

We require a minimum of 10 days notice to process a reservation but it is recommended that you book well in advance to ensure the location you want is secured for your use. Heathcote Reserve, for example, has bookings that are two years in advance.

What if it rains on the day?

Cancellation of bookings must be received at least 7 days prior to the event. Unless notified of a cancellation, the area you reserve will be allocated for your use, thus preventing others from booking the area, and the fees will need to be paid.

If notice is supplied, we can refund the hire fee paid or transfer the booking to another date and time if the park is available. However the Administration Fee is not refundable.

There is very limited shelter within the City's reserves so it's recommended that you have a back up plan or venue, in the unfortunate case of bad weather.

Where can guests park?

Free public parking is available at all City of Melville reserves.

Can we drive the bridal car onto the reserve?

As all reserves within the City of Melville are public parks and to ensure the safety of all visitors requests to drive bridal cars on a reserve would be considered on an individual basis. With the exception of Heathcote Reserve where no vehicles are permitted on the reserve.

If you would like to enquire about permission to allow a vehicle on the reserve, please note this in your Booking Application Form. A bond maybe applicable.

Can an area be cordoned off for our activities?

There are permanent signage within Point Walter Reserve, Heathcote Reserve, Bicton Quarantine Reserve and Piney Lakes Reserve, to indicate the areas that can be booked. While the desired area will not be roped off, the permits for these sites will correspond with the sign and indicate that a specific area within the reserve has been booked.

Grassed areas within other City of Melville reserves can be booked for your use; however there will not be specific location allocated within the reserve and you will need accommodate any casual users. You will be provided a permit for the reserve once the booking has been paid for in full and will be free to set up within any location within the reserve (no areas will be marked by signs). The permit must be on site for the duration of the booking.

 Please note we do not rope off areas and do not take bookings for gazebos, jetties, barbecues, car parks or paved walking areas.

What costs are associated with this?

Please see our Fees and Charges List.

Point Walter Reserve, Heathcote Reserve, Bicton Quarantine Reserve and Piney Lakes Reserve have specific hire rates as there are designated areas that can be booked.

All other reserves are charged at the Casual Sports/Ground Hire Rate as there is no designated areas.

All bookings attracted the Administration Fee.

A bond maybe applicable if any structure are included or if you've requested a vehicles access the reserve.

Which is the nicest venue for my wedding, what would you recommend?

All of the parks available for hire within the City of Melville for wedding ceremonies have their own unique qualities and it is really a matter of personal preference. We recommend visiting the venues, as you are the best judge of what you would like for your day.

Can I have alcohol?

A license to consume alcohol in a public place can be purchased for $25.00. This license must be applied for in person, no later than 1 week before your booking. You can apply for the licence and make payment at the Information Desk, located within the Civic Centre, 10 Almondbury Road, Booragoon. Offices are open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.00pm.

It's recommended that the licence is purchased after your booking has obtained approval. The Permission to Consume Liquor in a Public Place fee is not refundable. 

Please note, the person applying for the licence, will be listed at responsible person and must be present on the day for the duration of the booking. The nominated person must be 18 years old or over and will be requested to produce current ID with a photo. 

 Can I view the area?

You may view the area at any time you like.