Permission to Consume or Sell Alcohol
Information needed to obtain or change your liquor licence.
NOTICE: Applications for 18th or 21st Birthdays will not be Accepted
If you are organising a function or event where alcohol will be available in a City of Melville facility or on a City of Melville reserve you will need to gain the appropriate liquor licence. There are three types of licences to be considered. The first two are issued by the City of Melville and the third requires an application to the Department of Racing Gaming and Liquor.
Please see the descriptions below to assist with the type of license you require.
Consumption Liquor Licence (Issued by the City of Melville)
A consumptions license is applicable if you are:
- Supplying all the alcohol at no charge to your guests
- Allowing guest to BYO alcohol.
In other words you are not;
- Selling alcohol
- Charging an entry fee that includes the alcohol
- Holding an exhibition where products are for sale are being displayed.
Small Function Occasional Licence (Issued by the City of Melville)
Small functions that are selling alcohol or holding exhibitions where products are for sale or being displayed can now obtain a Consume Liquor in a Public Place form providing the function fits the following conditions:
- Maximum attendance is 75 people or less with the function duration being no more than 4 hours and finishing before 10pm, with no more than 4 standard drinks per person (or 1 standard drink per hour).
- Maximum attendance is 100 people or less with the function duration being no more than 2 hours and finishes before 10pm with no more than 2 standard drinks per person (or 1 standard drink per hour).
Your permission to consume liquor in a public place is subject to the conditions below being adhered to at all times.
- An attendee does not include a person who is: 1) managing or supervising the function; 2) providing services at the function (such as serving food or liquor; security etc); 3) providing entertainment at the function or assisting a person who is providing entertainment.
- The function must commence after 6am and finish by 10pm on the same day.
- A drunk person is not allowed to consume liquor at the function, nor is liquor to be supplied to a drunk person.
- For the purposes of this exemption, a function is defined under section 3(1) of the Act as:
- a gathering, occasion or event (including a sporting contest, show, exhibition, trade or other fair, or reception) at which it is proposed that liquor be sold or supplied to those present.
- Where liquor is sold or supplied at a small occasional function, the premises on which the function takes place is deemed to be regulated premises under section 122 of the Act.
- Offence provisions under section 122 and section 115 therefore apply to the supply of liquor to juveniles and drunk persons, the consumption and possession of liquor by juveniles and the consumption of liquor by drunk persons on these premises.
If the above descriptions for Consumption Liquor Licence or Small Function Occasional Licence describes your event, then you are required to complete Permission to Consume Liquor in a Public Place form, which costs $30.00. This form must be completed at the latest 1 week prior to the event, in person by the person who'll be listed as the responsible person. The responsible person listed on the Permission to Consume Liquor in a Public Place form must be present for the duration of the event. The permit must be present at the facility during the function or event. The Permission to Consume Liquor in a Public Place can be obtained by attending the City of Melville, Civic Centre, Information Desk. The Civic Centre is located at 10 Almondbury Road, Booragoon.
Occasional Liquor Licence (Issued by Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor)
An Occasional Liquor Licence must be obtained by the event/function organizers if the event/function does not fit into the above Small Function Conditions, alcohol is being sold, or at exhibitions where products are for sale or being displayed and alcohol is being provided. If the event is being held within a building or facility that is owned by the City of Melville, then written permission must be obtained from the City, at least 20 days before the event. The request must be made in writing, requesting the Councils support to obtain the application for an Occasional Liquor Licence. Wherever possible the written request needs to be on a letter head and must include the following information:
The number of people that will be attending (and how many children)
The purpose of the function/event
Whether your group will be making a profit from the sale of alcohol
The quantity of alcohol will be sold
What food / water / soft drink will be provided
The name of the responsible person on site for the duration of the event/function
Details of Responsible Service of Alcohol certifications
Date / Time of the Event
Please send the letter seeking approval to:
City of Melville
Locked Bag 1
BOORAGOON WA 6954
Fax: (08) 9364 0285 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If approval is granted, the City will send a letter to the applicant who can then approach the Department of Racing Gaming and Liquor, at least 14 days before the function/event. Please contact the Department of Racing Gaming and Liquor on 1800 634 541 to confirm when the application must be lodged.
Please pay special attention to the minimum time frames to lodge an Occasional Liquor Licence. In summary:
- 20 Days Notice (prior to the event) to the City of Melville. You will need a letter approving the request to take to the Department of Racing Gaming and Liquor.
- 14 Days Notice (prior to the event) to the Department of Racing Gaming and Liquor.