Cr Karen Wheatland
Palmyra - Melville - Willagee Ward
I have called Willagee home for the past 19 years, and live here with my partner Greg and two teenage daughters. As a family, we’ve been active in our local community - at Caralee Community School, the Palmyra Rebels Netball Club and the Willagee Community Centre.
As Councillor, I want to play my part in building a vibrant, inclusive community where everyone is valued and everyone belongs.
Straight out of school, I worked in retail and hospitality, before moving into finance. The lure of the sea was too strong, however, and I’ve spent much of my life working in the maritime industry. At different times, I’ve worked as Master of the boat, deckhand, cook and even as a pearl operations diver. I currently work on a tugboat in the Port of Fremantle – physically demanding, sometimes dangerous work, in a male dominated industry.
- BA Arts (Photography & Illustration).
- Master Class V
- Marine Engine Driver 2
- Certificate III In Maritime Operations (Integrated Rating)
- TAA Cert IV Trainer and Assessor
- Maritime and Hospitality trainer
- Former National Women’s Liaison Officer, Maritime Union of Australia
- Chair National and State Women’s Committee, Maritime Union of Australia
- State Representative for National EBA Negotiating team, Svitzer
- Advocate, White Ribbon Australia
- Representative Team Player Coordinator - Fremantle Netball Association
- Coastal’s Netball Region Committee Member, and WANL Team Manager
Sport is an important part of my life and a great way to keep our bodies, minds and communities healthy, and our youth engaged. I coach juniors for Palmyra Rebels Netball Club and sit on the executive of the Fremantle Netball Association.
I love all things creative. Photography, painting, writing, and music are my ways of switching off and relaxing.
As a woman working in a predominately male field, I am especially passionate about breaking down barriers and creating opportunities for women and girls.
Phone: 0401 335 642
Email: Cr Wheatland
Term of Office Ends